Mary's Website

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mirror Talk

Do you ever stand in front of the mirror and remind yourself of something? Sometimes I do that. Sometimes I have to tell myself the same thing over and over until I start to believe it. And even then I wrestle with myself over the idea.

You may think that's really silly. And indeed it does seem that way. But as I talk to myself, it's good to hear someone say the words--even if it's me--and I know that over time, my inner self will begin to realize the words are true.

Now, I won't tell you all about my mirror-side conversations, but I will share one thing I say on a regular basis. I look in the mirror and boldly proclaim, "You are a writer." 

You might wonder why I would need this ritual when the definition of a writer is "one that writes" and I do.

Maybe it's because my personal definition of a writer is more like...one who writes successfully. Or one who writes for many to read. Or one who can write the first draft exceedingly well.

People say writers write every day. And I don't. People say writers write because they can't "not" write. And that simply isn't true for me. Sometimes I go a couple of months without writing anything besides emails or posts in twitter.

I wish to be that person who writes snappy and cool every day, where the words flow like honey off my spoon. But so far, that isn't me.

I'm a playwright, in the process of editing my 18th stage play--and yet, I still need to tell myself "I'm a writer." 

It is humorous.
But one of these days, I may actually believe myself.

2 comments: