Mary's Website

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Tribute to Trouble Junction

Messy James & Calamity Pain are ready for the bad guy.
I love live theater. There's something sparkling and exciting about watching people perform onstage. This summer I wrote and directed a young adult theater production called Trouble Junction--A Wild West Spoof. This was my second young adult theater play, my 22nd lifetime production. 

The thrill of opening night never dims. Whether a small or large crowd shows up, the excitement on each actor's face is contagious. We perform for three nights in a row. Usually the first night is the smallest crowd, but the energy is sky-high as actors finally get to speak in front of a live audience for the first time. We've practiced and practiced, all the while wondering whether or not the crowd will "get it". Is this part funny enough? Will they understand that line? 

At the sound of applause and laughter, a sigh ripples through me. I was holding my breath up to that point.

Laughter is a language of its own. It gives reassurance that we're doing a good job, we're being successful in our comedy, and they want more.

Sad plays like sad stories still abound, but there's something pretty special about a night out with lots of laughter and joy. And for me, there's nothing in the world like watching a live performance, mistakes and all, especially one like Trouble Junction.

I know I'll never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment